Bringing a new baby into the world is such an adventure of discovery. So many new things to know and understand about your newborn, so here are 7 interesting facts about your baby:
1. Babies are born without kneecaps! Yep, that’s right … the cartilage doesn’t develop until they are fully 6 months. And that’s the reason most babies crawl on the arms instead of all fours. Or one of mine did a funny bum shuffle sideways movement!
2. babies are born with 100 more bones than us adults (about 300) ? Over time, some of the bones fuse together – for example the skull has several bones that overlap to help the baby squeeze out – phew!
3. Newborns don’t cry tears ? They might howl and scream to get what they want or need but their tear ducts aren’t developed so the tears cannot be created or released for about 3 weeks! In rare cases, some don’t drop their first teat until 4 or 5 months. ?
4. Neuroscientists say that babies don’t dream for the first few years of their life.
5. Your baby will forget everything that they’ve lived and experienced in the first three years of their life. Neuroscientists call this ‘infantile amnesia’. This is even more reason to collect baby memories and baby keepsakes for them in their early years. Make sure you take lots of photos and take impressions of their little handprints and footprints. Inkless print kits are the perfect way to do this – clean and easy. You’ll be so pleased that you did.
➡️Click here for my 10 top tips on making great baby handprints and footprints.
6. Does your baby love to play peek-a-boo with you? Well, that’s because babies lack object permanence. Or in other words, they can’t recognise that the object exists even if it can’t be seen.
7. Babies laugh around 300 times a day! While adults only laugh about 60 times. That’s only when they’ve learned to laugh (around 12 weeks – 5 months). It’s a reminder that babies enjoy life way more than we do ?
I hope you found these 7 interesting fact about your baby informative ?